Special Constable Service
The Special Constable Service is staffed by special constables, communications operators and administrative personnel.
The Communications Centre is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to respond to your needs, concerns and emergencies. Special Constables are first responders to all campus emergencies and are the liaison between other emergency services and the university.
The Role of Special Constables
The role of Special Constables is to:
- Enforce city by-laws, provincial offences and federal statues when contravention is on, or in relation to, any university owned, operated or leased property.
- Lay charges and/or make arrests under the same legal authority as police officers.
- Practice alternative measures through the Office of Student Affairs student conduct process.
- Conduct foot, bike and vehicle patrols of our campuses.
The Wilfrid Laurier University Special Constable Service is committed to:
- The prevention of crime, education, customer service, encouraging partnerships and the protection of rights, which will enhance the quality of life for our students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Using the neighbourhood policing model to solve and prevent crime through education and the formation of partnerships to make Laurier a safer place to learn, live and work.
If you require assistance or wish to report a crime, please call:
- Waterloo: 519.885.3333, or from an internal phone at extension 3333.
- Brantford: 519.756.8228 x5888, or from an internal phone at extension 5888.