Career Centre Peers (CCPs) are essential to the success of the Career Centre. Being a CCP provides you with an excellent opportunity to build your work-related skills and increase your knowledge of career development strategies. You will work individually and as a part of a team in specific roles within the program. The CCP Program is also a valuable addition to your Laurier Co-curricular record and resumé.
The CCP team is made up of outreach and support volunteers and video production volunteers.
Outreach and Support Peers
- Assist with the promotion of Career Centre events, services and programs. This includes staffing weekly Career Centre information booths on campus as well as developing and implementing marketing plans for Career Centre events, contests and outreach initiatives.
- Provide resumé feedback and resources to your peers at both on-campus Career Centre information booths and during Career Centre drop-in hours (Mondays to Fridays, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.).
- Conduct interviews with alumni on their career paths to produce career profile articles and author relevant articles for the "Career Forward" e-newsletter.
- Attend various Career Centre events.
This position will allow you to develop your presentation, marketing, consulting, organizational, research and writing skills. We need volunteers who are outgoing, possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and are passionate about helping their peers succeed.
Video Production Peers
- Produce short educational videos on career development topics and promotional videos to increase student awareness of the importance of career planning and Career Centre services.
- Develop video concepts, author scripts, coordinate video shoots, collect video footage and perform editing to produce polished, quality videos to be broadcast in workshops, the Career Centre website, and on screens around campus.
- Interview alumni on their career paths to produce career profiles for the Career Centre website.
This role will allow you to develop your writing, time management, collaboration and technical video skills. We need volunteers who are creative, detail-oriented, and familiar with (or have a keen interest in learning) the basics of video editing. The ability to use a Mac (iMovie) for editing is preferred, but not required.
In addition to the qualities listed above for each role, we are looking for volunteers who will provide:
- A commitment of five hours per week in both fall and winter terms.
- A passion for helping their peers succeed.
- A willingness to take on projects that will enhance their own career development.
- Creativity, initiative and reliability.
We have high expectations of our CCPs and they are integral to our department's success.
New volunteers begin preparation for their duties in advance by completing the Career Development Certificate workshops by end of Winter 2017 semester and participate in e-training over the summer months. Then, they participate in two days of on-site training during Orientation Week in September.
The application deadline for the 2017/18 academic year was March 8, 2017. For further information about the CCP program at the Waterloo campus, email Stacey Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in volunteering at the Career Centre in Brantford, email email@example.com.
2016/17 Career Centre Peers - Waterloo campus