International Development Option
Note: University regulations apply to all students at Laurier. If there is any discrepancy between the program or progression requirements outlined on this page and those in the university's academic calendars, the academic calendars are the official sources of information. The information below is from the latest calendar, and you may be following progression requirements from an earlier calendar. Students are responsible for checking the appropriate calendar. Contact your program coordinator should you notice any discrepancies.
The International Development Option is only available at the Brantford Campus. The option consists of 4.0 credits.
For graduation, students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 6.00 on all 4.0 credits.
Required Courses (2.5 credits)
- EC140: Introduction to Macroeconomics
- HR163: Introduction to International Development
- HR263:The Developing World
- HR301/OL301: Development Theories, Strategies and Issues
- HR328: The United Nations in the 21st Century
Elective Courses: (1.5 credits)
Additional credits chosen from the following list of elective courses. Students should be aware that some of these courses have prerequisites and not all will be offered at the Brantford Campus. Although these prerequisites may be waived by the program or department administering the course, it is the responsibility of the student to make such arrangements.
- CC325/HR325: Crimes Against Humanity
- CC326/HR326: Transitional Justice
- CT203/HS203: Disease and Society
- CT260/HR260: Introduction to Human Rights
- EC120: Introduction to Microeconomics
- FR150: Practical French I or FR250 - Language through Popular Culture I, or SP101 - Introduction to Spanish I [or similar university course in other
- international languages-consult program co-ordinator for approval]
- HR231: Human Rights and the Environment
- HR232: Women, Rights, and Equality
- HR320/YC320: Children's Rights
- HR329/HS329: Global Health and Social Justice
- HR350/OL350: Workplace Diversity in the 21st Century
- HR391: Canadian Internship/Field Placement
- HR392: International Internship/Field Placement
- JN327/MX327: Social Documentary
- OL233/CC233: Introduction to Social Science Research Methods
- OL322/HR322: Non-Governmental Organizations
- The Faculty of Liberal Arts offers a BA without a designation. No further designation (major, option or minor) is awarded with this degree.
- Students are not permitted to complete both the International Policy Option and the International Development Option.
Leadership and International Development Stream
Students completing the Honours BA Leadership Program may specialize in International Development. This option consists of 4.0 credits, as outlined in the requirements for the International Development Option. In addition, students also complete the required courses for the Honours BA in Leadership (6.5 credits) and the requirements of Foundations: BF190, BF199, BF290, BF299.
Download the printable program worksheet (PDF) from the year you started to help you keep track of which requirements you have completed. If you need a program worksheet from an earlier year, contact Laurier Brantford Academic Advising.