Purple leaf

Residence and Off-Campus Housing

Finding a place to live in a new country can be a challenge. To help make it easier for you to find the accommodations that are right for you, we have compiled information on both living in residence and in off-campus housing, as well as options for temporary accommodations if you arrive in Canada before your arranged move-in date.

Living in Residence

Submit Your Application

Residence is guaranteed to all students entering first-year studies for the first time, as long as you submit your application by the deadline. All students living in residence are also required to have a meal plan.

If you submit your application after the deadline, you will be placed on a waiting list, and there is no guarantee that you will get into residence. You can contact the Department of Residence for more information.

Arriving in Your Residence Room

When you arrive in your residence room for the school year, you will have basic furniture but you won’t have betting or towels. There is a private residence service, called Residence Linens, who will deliver bedding kits to your room, so that you will have what you need when you arrive.

If you will be living in residence, move-in day information will come from the Department of Residence.

Residence Rooms for Exchange Students

There are also a limited number of residence rooms reserved for exchange students. If you would like to live in residence, you can apply through the Department of Residence.

Off-Campus Housing

To help you in your search for off-campus housing, Laurier has partnered with Places4Students.com, an off-campus housing website that specializes in providing students, schools and landlords with a quality rental property listing service in both Waterloo and Brantford. Please be aware that Laurier does not inspect, or otherwise check, the homes, rooms or rental properties listed here, so please make sure you do your own inquiries for suitability.

For exchange students studying on the Waterloo campus, another resource for finding off-campus housing is Ezra-Bricker Student Apartments. This includes a number of properties that close to the Waterloo campus and are owned by Laurier, but are managed by Campus Living Centres.

Quite often, students are required to sign a 12-month lease, even if they are not going to be in the city for that long; however, it is possible to find four-month and eight-month lease agreements. When you do find a place, you have to pay first and last month's rent, and then pay your monthly rent on the first day of every month. If you rent a room instead of a full apartment, you have likely have shared access to a kitchen and bathroom and sometimes to a common area. There may be laundry facilities in the house, which could be coin-operated or could be free for you to use.

Tenant Rights

If you are unsure of your rights as a tenant, you can consult the Student Rights Advisory Council (SRAC). The SRAC is a peer support service for academic or landlord-tenant questions. You can contact them by emailing housing@wlu.ca.

How Much Will Rent Cost?

The cost of rent for off-campus housing can vary from $600 to $1,200 per month. Factors that can affect the price include distance to the university, cleanliness, size, utilities, nearby amenities and if the unit is furnished or unfurnished. A furnished unit will typically be more expensive than an unfurnished unit.

If you do rent a furnished unit, it is unlikely bedding will be provided. You can arrange for bedding, towels and a bathroom kit to be ready for you when you arrive through Residence Linens.

The rent (accommodation fee) is listed as the price per day, week or month. Before you sign anything, make sure you understand the details of your lease or rental agreement.

Temporary Accommodations

If you plan on coming to Canada prior to the arranged move-in date to your on- or off-campus housing, you will need to arrange for your own temporary accommodations. There are a number of hotels, which are close to campus in both Waterloo and Brantford, where you can stay.