Skip to main content


Study Permit Delays

Please note that study permit delays can cause problems for students trying to enter Canada. We recommend that you apply for your study permit as early as possible, and connect with us at if your study permit has been denied. You can also find updated information here from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

These changes and updates can impact you if you are applying for a study permit for the first time as a degree-seeking student or an exchange student studying at Laurier, so be sure to review all the information carefully. 

Study Permits

You must apply for a study permit if:

  • You are not a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident.
  • You are studying in a post-secondary program in Canada for more than six months.

You may not need a study permit if:

  • You are studying in Canada for six months or less.

You may also need a visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada. If so, this will be part of your study permit application.

As an international student, it is also your responsibility to ensure your study permit doesn't expire. The information below will help you extend your study permit from within Canada.

You can extend your study permit online through your IRCC account. Be sure to apply to extend your study permit three months before your current study permit expires.

Visa and Travel Documents

Temporary Resident Visa

A temporary resident visa (TRV), or visitor visa, is an official document that is placed in your passport by an officer to show that you have met the requirements for entry to Canada as a temporary resident.

Learn More About the TRV Application Process.

Electronic Travel Authorization

An electronic travel authorization (eTA) shows that you have met the requirements to enter Canada, but it is a paperless document that is electronically linked to your passport.

What You Need to Know

  • You may require either a TRV or an eTA to travel to Canada, depending on your home country.
  • If you need a TRV or an eTA, they are issued at the same time as the documents you need to enter Canada as a student.
  • You do not need to complete a separate application or pay additional fees.

Find out if you need a TRV or an eTA.

Co-op Work Permit

A co-op work permit is required to participate in Laurier’s co-op program, even if your study permit says you are eligible to work in Canada. Co-op work positions are often for more than 20 hours a week and many are off campus.

You can apply for a co-op work permit if:

  • You have a valid study permit.
  • Work is required to complete your program of study in Canada.
  • You have a letter from Laurier confirming that all students in your program must complete work placements to get their degrees.
  • Your co-op placement totals less than 50% or less than your study program.

How you apply for a co-op work permit depends on if you have already applied for your study permit or not. Review the application process to determine your next steps.

Apply After You Receive Your Study Permit

If you have already received your study permit and started your studies, you can apply for your co-op work permit online through your IRCC account.

  • Cost: Free
  • Processing time: Check the IRCC website
  • How to apply: Online through your IRCC account
  • Documents required: Current valid study permit, letter from co-op office, passport and a digital passport-style photo 

Apply With Your Study Permit

If you are applying for your co-op work permit along with your study permit please make sure you submit all documents required for your study permit and then include a letter from the co-op office stating the requirement of your program for your to participate in co-op. 

If you have questions or concerns about your co-op work permit, contact Laurier International.

Post-Graduation Work Permit and Permanent Residence

If you’re interested in staying in Canada after graduation to work or to become a permanent residence, we can help you get the information you need. 

Post-Graduation Work Permit

You can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) once you have completed all the requirements for your program. 

To help you understand the application process and to know what you need to do, we offer regular workshops on how to apply for your PGWP. You can attend one of these workshops at any time during your studies.  

You can also contact us at any time if you have questions. 

Permanent Residence

There are various pathways to permanent residence in Canada. To find out more about these pathways, you can: 

  • Watch a recording provided by an Outreach Officer from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
    • Recording password: 5sFFDq3M
  • Visit the IRCC website.
  • Contact us and we can connect you with the resources you need to get more information.