Skip to main content

Working in Canada

Working part-time is a great way to earn extra money and develop the skills you will need in a full-time job after graduation.

As an international student, you are eligible to work part-time in Canada if you have:

  • A study permit that indicates you can work in Canada.
  • A social insurance number (SIN).

Information about working in Canada is subject to change, so be sure to refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) site for the latest information.

What You Need to Work in Canada

Study Permit

Your study permit will indicate if you are allowed to work in Canada. You do not need to apply for a separate work permit. Your study permit must say at least one of the following:

  • May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies.
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.

If your study permit does not say you are allowed to work in Canada, you may need to request an amendment to your study permit, from the IRCC. If this amendment is needed, you must request it before you can apply for your SIN card. There is no fee to have your study permit amended. Speak with an international student advisor to find out if you can request an amendment, and how to do so.

Social Insurance Number

You must have a social insurance number (SIN) to work in Canada, whether you are working on campus or off campus. You can apply in person for a SIN card at a Service Canada office in Waterloo or Brantford. You must bring your study permit with you when you apply, and you will also need to know the following information:

  • Your date and place of birth.
  • Your full current address.
  • A contact phone number.
  • Both your mother's and father's names at birth (family and given names).

You can also attend a SIN Clinic on campus in Waterloo and Brantford. These clinics are held once each term. Contact Laurier International for more information.