History Students' Association
The Laurier Brantford History Students' Association (HSA) is an organization that encourages historical discussion through fun events and workshops at Laurier Brantford. It is comprised of both students and faculty who organize fun events and provide many opportunities to meet new people and establish a closer relationship with the past.
Past events include debates, career nights, Lunar New Year celebrations, Guy Fawkes Night, workshops and "meet the professor" night.
We are always accepting new members and there are many different ways to become involved.
Upcoming Events (Winter 2017)
- History Career Panel: Tuesday January 24, 2:30p.m. - 3:50p.m. - CB100 Learn what career paths are oepn to History BA graduates. Special guests include the curator of the Fashion History Museum, a librariran and the Education Officer for the Brant Historical Society.
- Lunar New Year Celebration: Wednesday February 1, 9:30a.m. - 5:30p.m. - RCW Lobby Come play East Asian games, taste delicious food, view a costume exhibit, watch a Lion dance, and more!
- People Make History Lecture Series: February 28 and March 1
"Confronting the Nuclear Age: A Hiroshima Survivor Remembers" Speaker: Setsuko Thurlow, Hiroshima Survivor and Peace Activist
Tuesday February 28, 1:00p.m. - 2:20p.m. - OD205
Tuesday February 28, 7:00p.m. - 8:30p.m. - RCW203
Wednesday March 1, 2:30p.m. - 3:50p.m. - OD100
This event is free and open to the public, but we have limited seating. If you are not already enrolled in HI307, HI349 or HI199, please reserve your seat at either event by contacting Nicole Morgan - firstname.lastname@example.org, 519-756-8228 x 5537.
- People Make History Creative Contest: Create a piece of art inspired by "Confronting the Nuclear Age: A Hiroshima Survivor Remembers." The submission can be visual art, digital art, poetry, short story, music or song. The grand prize is a Samsung Galaxy S6 Smart Phone donated by Communication Zone. Submissions may be emailed or dropped off in person to Nicole Morgan, nmorgan@wlu,ca RCW304, 150 Dalhousie Street, 519-756-8228 x 5537 by 4pm on March 10, 2017. The contest is open to any student (WLU or secondary school) who attends the February 28 or March 1 event.
- Author Visit: March 23, 11:30a.m. - 12:50p.m. - GRH207
Join us for a reading and Q&A with Giller nominee, Zoe Whittall, author of Bottle Rocket Hearts and The Best Kind of People.
President: Danielle Crites
Vice President: Dave Lacey
Secretary: Dimitri Zervos
Marketing and Media Executive: Angus Malcolm
First Year Rep: Lillia Dockree