Certificate and Workshops
You can attend individual workshops, or work toward earning your Career Development Certificates.
Career Development Certificate
- UndergraduateUGClick this tab to view content pertaining to Under Graduates
- GraduateGRADClick this tab to view content pertaining to Graduates
The Career Development Certificate for Undergraduate Students
- Provides you with the skills and knowledge to find the position you want and plan a fulfilling career.
- Makes a valuable addition to your resumé and Laurier Co-curricular Record.
- Attend all five workshops at any point during your studies at Laurier:
- Career Planning
- Resumé Writing
- Cover Letter Writing
- Job Search and Networking Strategies
- Interview Success
"I completed my certificate in my first year and found the experience really valuable.... I liked that the workshops were short; students can pop into the centre and complete a workshop in between classes."
- Second-year Health Sciences student.
Career Development Certificate for Students in Graduate and Professional Programs
Successfully transitioning from graduate school into academic or post-academic professions requires a combination of self-reflection and job market awareness, as well the proactive development of career planning and employment preparation skills. The Career Centre offers professionalization workshops and events in each of these areas, with the ultimate aim of supporting your progression into a meaningful career.
Part of the ASPIRE program, the Career Development Certificate is a convenient way to earn while you learn through attending at least three of the following qualifying Laurier Career Centre workshops:
- Career Planning
- Marketing Your Transferable Skills to an Employer
- Resumé Writing and Cover Letter
- CV Writing for Academic Jobs
- Job Search and Networking
- Job Search and Networking Strategies for Academic Positions
Career Development Certificate - Advanced
New in 2016/17 - the Career Development Certificate - Advanced. Build your knowledge and skills for the job search process.
- Marketing Your Transferable Skills workshop
Resumé Profile Building workshop
- Maximizing LinkedIn workshop
- Conduct an informational interview
Complete a mock interview appointment
To earn your certificates:
- Register for workshops on Laurier Navigator. Workshops are offered frequently throughout the academic year.
- Enrol in the Career Development Certificate in Navigator by clicking "Sign-up for a Program." As you swipe your OneCard at each workshop, Navigator will track your certificate requirements. Once you have attended the workshops, complete the "Certificate of Completion" questionnaire in Navigator to receive your certificate.
Not sure where you are headed? Do you know what you want but not sure how to get there? Attend a Career Planning Workshop to learn how to gather relevant information, insights and resources to explore opportunities and how to develop a plan to get there.
Is your resumé getting you the interviews you want? This workshop offers tips on the use of appropriate formatting, layout and how to select and present relevant skills to an employer. Whether you are looking for a part-time or summer job while you study or a full-time opportunity after graduation, the resumé workshop is for you!
Cover Letter Writing
Do you need a cover letter? An effective cover letter can set you apart and will show the employer why you are the best person for the job. Attend this workshop to learn about the format, layout and content of compelling cover letters.
Job Search and Networking Strategies
How can you gain a competitive edge in your job search? Did you know most job openings are filled before they are even posted? Attend this workshop to learn how to tap into the hidden job market using effective research and networking techniques to increase the chances of getting the job you really want.
What are employers really looking for from candidates? Join us as we discuss how to prepare for a successful job interview. We will show you how to identify and present your best qualifications, formulate effective answers to common interview questions and offer you tips to help reduce stress and maximize your performance. Learn about making a positive first impression and about the advantages of a successful follow up.
Marketing Your Transferable Skills
Do you know what skills employers are seeking? Do you know what transferable skills means? Learn how to make your experience valuable to an employer. Attend this workshop to help develop your ability to understand and articulate your skills on a resumé and in an interview.
Resumé Profile Building
What makes a resumé profile effective? Attend this workshop to learn how to write dynamic profile bullets that speak directly to the job you want! Bring your resumé with you.
Do you have a LinkedIn profile? If so, are you using it to the fullest? Participants in this workshop will learn about tools and strategies to build their LinkedIn profile, represent themselves professionally, maximize their career research and build their online networks.
Graduate School/Post-degree Education Workshops
These workshops are for students considering furthering their education beyond their degree at Laurier. Learn about admission requirements and application procedures for several types of post-degree programs, and how the Career Centre can help you with the application process. For example, applying to graduate school, teacher education programs, or law school.
We also offer tailored workshops and events for specific academic disciplines, career fields and distinct student groups. Check our Waterloo events and our Brantford events for our current offerings, or contact us if you have a request for specific programming.