Purple leaf

Study Permits and Visas

You will need to apply for a study permit if you are not a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident and if you are staying in Canada for longer than six months. You may also need a visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada. If so, this will be issued as part of your study permit application.

Apply for a Study Permit

Review the list of required documents you need to apply for your study permit. Once you have these documents, you can apply for your study permit. Be sure you apply for your study permit before you travel to Canada.

Biometrics (fingerprints and a photo) are now required when you apply for a study permit if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.

To study in Canada, you must be enrolled in a Designated Learning Institution. A Designated Learning Institution is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. Wilfrid Laurier University is a Designated Learning Institution and, when required, our Designated Learning Institution number (DLI#) is O19395164307. Note: The DLI# starts with the letter O and not the number zero.

You will also need to:

  • Prove you have the funds to pay for:
    • Tuition fees.
    • Living expenses for yourself and any family members.
    • Return transportation for yourself and any family members.
  • Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record.
  • Be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • Ensure the Canadian immigration office that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

Learn more about the eligibility requirements for a study permit and your responsibilities while studying in Canada.

Corrections and Changes to Documents

Be sure to go over your documents when you receive them to make sure the information is correct. If there are any errors in your personal information, they will show up in your immigration documents and you will need to submit a request for an amendment to these documents when you arrive.

If you need to update your study permit application because your contact information has changed, you must contact the Government of Canada.

Studying as a Minor

If you are 17 or under, you will need to provide additional documents as a minor studying in Canada. As well, your parents may need to fill out a Custodian Declaration (IMM 5646) form.

After You Apply

After you have applied, if you need to give your biometrics you will receive a letter from the Government of Canada. Processing times for study applications will vary by country, but you can check the processing times online. If you are required to provide biometrics, the time you need to submit them is not included in the processing time.