Health Studies is an interdisciplinary approach to the study of health and health care. Students learn that health is determined by far more than the availability of health care and that health care itself involves more than simply treating illness.
Health Studies is a dynamic field, continually evolving to integrate scientific advancements and new knowledge about the role of social and environmental influences on health and well-being, the costs of health care, and the impact of illness on productivity and quality of life.
Our programs are designed to offer students insight into:
- The social, biological, and environmental causes of illness.
- Health care policies and the social and political structures that inform them.
- The management of health care in both everyday and crisis situations.
- The challenges and opportunities associated with providing care for specific populations.
- The strengths and challenges of prevention over symptom-based treatments.