Skip to main content

Pre-Placement Screening

Police Record Checks

Although Police Record Checks (PRC) are not a Laurier requirement, the majority of the placement organizations we work with require it as part of their screening process. Because many of these organizations are servicing vulnerable populations, a PRC helps to ensure the safety of the clients they serve. By completing a PRC before placement signup, you will have many more placement options to choose from.

There are three levels of PRCs, including:

  • Criminal Record Check
  • Criminal Records and Judicial Matters Check
  • Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) [MOST COMMONLY REQUIRED]

If you expect to work with children, youth, seniors, people with disabilities, or people with mental health issues, then a VSC will likely be required.

Please note: It can take several weeks to recieve your PRC after applying. We strongly recommend that students apply for their PRC as early as possible. You may not sign up for a placement that requires a PRC unless you have a valid check already, or the organization has made an exception to this rule (which will be noted in the placement requirements).

How to Obtain a Police Record Check

As of May 2022, Waterloo Regional Police Service has implemented a new Police Record Check Program that will provide completed police record checks via email. The new format will offer electronic verification of ID for most applicants, which allows for a seamless online process. Electronic police record checks should not be printed. A printed version would not be considered valid or legitimate.

See the New Online Service FAQ's section on the Waterloo Regional Police - Background or Record Check website for detailed instructions. 

  1. On the Background or Record Checks page, Click “Begin Record Check.”
  2. For “Type of Request,” select “Police Vulnerable Sector Check” and fill out the form that populates.
  3. For “Reason for Request,” check the box for University/College Placement.
  4. In the “Organization” field, type "Other - School Placement"
  5. For “Description of Position” field, type the name of your course. 
  6. For “Details regarding the responsibilities towards children or vulnerable person(s)” field, enter ‘working directly with children or vulnerable person (e.g. working with children in an educational setting, working with people with disabilities or children, working with seniors).

If you have questions or require assistance with your Waterloo Regional Police Record Check, contact

See detailed information on police record check procedures on the Brantford Police Service website. To apply, you must download and fill out the forms available on their webpage.

You must then visit the Brantford Police Station in person with standard identification and the applicable fees. The Brantford Police Service is located at 344 Elgin Street, Brantford.

The Toronto Police Service has a special process for Police Record Checks. 

Contact us at to request the Community Agency Code required to apply for your record check.

See the Toronto Police Service Police Record Checks website for details.

For other municipalities:

  1. Visit your local police service (see below) and follow the procedures they have in place. The police service may require you to present a letter from Laurier confirming your participation in a course that has a CSL placement.
  2. Let the service know you require a PRC because you will be completing a CSL placement with a community organization. Fill out any required paperwork.
  3. The police service will provide the results of a completed PRC only to you. It is your decision to share the results of a PRC with the community partner. If you are having difficulty making this decision, contact a CSL staff member.

Employer/Government Agency/Contact Info

Because you are applying for a police check ahead of securing a placement, you will not have the contact information for your placement organization. If the application requires to you provide this, use Laurier's contact info (see the placement letter below).

Placement Letter

Some Police Departments or Placement Organizations require a letter from Laurier explaining the nature of your placement experience. You can download these from the links below: 

Residency Requirements

Students who currently reside in Waterloo Region or Brantford must provide proof of their residency (e.g. valid driver’s license, valid lease agreement, utility bill for current month or bank statement) to get a record check completed. You can also get your record check done in the city in which you reside and bring it with you when you return to campus for classes. 


New RCMP procedures require that if you have any criminal offenses on your record, you may be required to get fingerprinted at your local police service. You will need to allow additional time to complete this process.


Typical fees range from $15 to $45. Community Service-Learning students are not eligible for community volunteer discounts. There may be an additional fee if fingerprinting is required.

Dates of Police Record Checks

The majority of community organizations require a PRC that is no less than six months old. Some require a PRC no less than 30 days old.

Tuberculosis Tests

Some placements require a tuberculosis (TB) test. If you need one, contact the Student Wellness Centre on either the Waterloo or Brantford campus for more information.

The TB test is a two-step process; each step is $20 at the Student Wellness Centre. The second step is completed two days after the first.