Skip to main content

Research Involving Hazardous Materials

To be eligible for funds from the Canadian Tri-Agencies, Laurier must certify that research involving biohazardous or radioactive materials has received the necessary approvals before research can begin. If you are using biohazardous or radioactive materials in your project, you will need to obtain approval for their use prior to commencing the research.

Contact Sarah Lamb, supervisor: Laboratory Safety Programs, at or 519.884.0710 x3108 for assistance with the permit application processes.

Research Involving Radioactive Material

Research involving radioactive materials must adhere to Laurier’s Radiation Safety Program and the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission's (CNSC) Nuclear Safety and Control Act.

A researcher must obtain an internal permit from the Radiation Safety Committee (RSC) before acquisition of isotopes. When a researcher indicates the use of radioactive materials in a grant application, the Office of Research Services will contact the radiation safety officer to determine whether the work area, experimental procedures and worker training have been approved and given an internal permit by the RSC.

Research Involving Biohazardous Materials

If you are using biohazardous materials (risk group 1 or 2 agents) in your project, you will need to obtain approval for their use, prior to starting your research. 

All work involving biohazardous materials must be completed in accordance with Laurier’s Biosafety Program, the Public Health Agency of Canada's Laboratory Biosafety Guidelines, and all other relevant legislation.

Projects involving the use of biohazardous materials will be reviewed by the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC). An internal permit application along with risk assessment will be submitted by the researcher to the IBC for review. Work with risk group 1 agents must be performed in a containment level 1 laboratory area with level 1 appropriate work procedures. Risk group 2 agents require a containment level 2 facility with level 2 appropriate work procedures. Upon approval by the IBC, an internal permit will be issued and the project will be entered into a database maintained by the supervisor: Laboratory Safety Programs.

If a researcher indicates on a grant application that a project will involve biohazardous materials, the Office of Research Services will contact the supervisor: Laboratory Safety Programs to determine whether the project has been reviewed and approved by the IBC.