Skip to main content

Immigration and Citizenship

Immigration and citizenship issues are handled by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) (formerly Citizenship and Immigration Canada, or CIC) department of the Government of Canada. As such, it is responsible for all immigration and citizenship policies and practices and should be the number one source of information and advising for international students.

The following is meant to help guide you through the process, not to advise you on such matters. For more information on immigration to Canada, visit the IRCC website.

This information will help you if you’re interested in applying to live permanently in Canada, after graduating from Laurier. We also have resources if you’re looking to get your study permit to come to Laurier or if you’re looking for work in Canada after graduation, but don’t wish to permanently move to Canada.

Permanent Residency

The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program offers a pathway to permanent residence and a fast-tracking of permanent residence applications.

There are two categories for international students who are seeking permanent residence in Canada, depending on whether you have received a job offer for after you graduate.

With a Job Offer

The International Student with a Job Offer Stream allows students who have graduated from a publicly funded Canadian university or college to apply to live permanently in Ontario, if their employer has recruited them for a permanent, full-time position in a profession or skilled trade.

Without a Job Offer

There are two sub-streams if you do not have a job offer:

  • The PhD Graduate Stream allows PhD graduates from one of Ontario's publicly funded universities to apply to live permanently in Ontario. You may be able to apply to Opportunities Ontario for nomination as a permanent resident, under the International Student Category's PhD Graduate Stream.
  • The Master's Graduate Stream allows international master's graduates from one of Ontario's publicly funded universities to apply to live permanently in Ontario. 

Immigration as a Skilled Worker

You can apply directly to the Canadian government to immigrate to Canada. One option is to immigrate as a skilled worker. Determine your eligibility to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant. 

Note that the Canadian government’s Canadian Experience Class (CEC) has been replaced with the Express Entry program, as of Jan. 1, 2015.

Get More Information

If you have any questions, the IRCC is the first stop for all your informational needs. Refer to their website for the most up-to-date information, forms and instructions.

The IRCC call centre can be reached at 1.888.242.2100 and features an automated voice response system that is available 24 hours a day. You can speak to an agent during normal business hours of 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. These agents have been trained to help assist you in navigating the website to get the information you need.