Skip to main content

Permanent Residency

Immigration and citizenship issues are handled by the Government of Canada's Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) department. The department is your first stop for information and advising as an international student.

The following information will:

After Graduation

The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program offers a pathway to permanent residence and a fast-tracking of permanent residence applications. There are two categories for international students who are seeking permanent residence in Canada, depending on whether you have received a job offer for after you graduate.

With a Job Offer

If your employer hires you in a permanent, full-time position in a profession or skilled trade, the International Student with a Job Offer stream allows you to apply to live permanently in Ontario when you graduate from a publicly-funded Canadian university or college.

Without a Job Offer

If you do not have a job offer, there are two sub-streams that allow you to live permanently in Ontario when you graduate:

Immigration as a Skilled Worker

You can apply directly to the Canadian government to immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker. Check your eligibility to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant. 

Note that the Canadian government’s Canadian Experience Class (CEC) has been replaced with the Express Entry program, as of Jan. 1, 2015.

Get More Information

The IRCC call centre can be reached at 1.888.242.2100 and features an automated voice response system that is available 24 hours a day. You can speak to an agent during normal business hours of 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. These agents have been trained to help assist you in navigating the website to get the information you need.

Immigration Resources