Staying safe this winter
Winter is upon us with its cold, brisk mornings and glistening snow. Being mindful of slip hazards will help keep you safe and able to enjoy the season while you are walking around campus.
To keep you safe and prevent slips or trips, consider incorporating these tips into your everyday routines:
- Wear appropriate footwear with low heels and a good fit – avoid slippery soles.
- Avoid walking on wet surfaces if possible.
- Take time and pay attention to where you are walking.
- Adjust your stride to a pace that is suitable for the walking surface and the tasks you are performing.
- Take extra care when you come indoors with wet shoes or boots.
- “Be ready” if you can’t avoid walking on slippery surfaces.
Be cautious of the following situations when you’re travelling between classes:
- Wet or oily surfaces,
- Occasional spills,
- Weather hazards,
- Loose/unanchored rugs or mats, and
- Flooring or other walking surfaces that do not have the same degree of traction in all areas.