International Policy Option
Note: University regulations apply to all students at Laurier. If there is any discrepancy between the program or progression requirements outlined on this page and those in the university's academic calendars, the academic calendars are the official sources of information. The information below is from the latest calendar, and you may be following progression requirements from an earlier calendar. Students are responsible for checking the appropriate calendar. Contact your program coordinator should you notice any discrepancies.
Are you interested in complex global problems such as health and disease, environment, welfare, trade and finance? Then Laurier’s new undergraduate option in International Policy might be for you! The School of International Policy and Governance offers an International Policy Option open to all students.
You’ll complete 4.5 credits of courses. Core courses are in economics, international policy, and – depending what campus you're on – political science and global studies, or human rights and human diversity. Related electives are drawn from a wide variety of programs on our campuses.
Required Core Courses (3.5 Credits)
- GS101 or HR163
- PO245 or HR223/JN223
- PO231 or PO232 or HR328.
- One of: EC205, EC255, CC327, EC285, HS324, JN334, KP262, MA240, MA241, GG254, MB235, OL334, PO218, PS291, PS292, PS295, PS296, SY382 or an equivalent statistics course approved by the School of International Policy and Governance.
Elective Courses (1.0 Credit)
Two electives (1.0 credit) in courses focused on international policy issues, including the following courses and others as approved by the School of International Policy and Governance.
- Biology: BI301
- Criminology: CC209, CC306, CC319, CC325/HR325, CC326/HR326
- Society, Culture and Environment: CT202, CT215, CT226/JN226/MX226, CT250, CT260/HR260, CT302, CT310, CT312, CT324, CT404, CT419, CT455
- Economics: EC207, EC238, EC239, EC246, EC249, EC307, EC316
- Environmental Studies: ES392
- Geography: GG261, GG263, GG272, GG273, ES290/GG290, ES356/GG356, ES362/GG362, GG363, GG367, GG389, ES391/GG391, ES397/GG397, ES398/GG398, ES493/GG493
- Global Studies: GS232, GS311, GS323, GS331, GS335, GS351, GS361, GS435, GS461
- Public Health: HE411, HE301, HE400
- History: HI256, HI306
- Human Rights and Human Diversity: HR231, HR232/LY232, HR263, HR301/OL301, HR312, HR320/YC320, HR329/HS329, HR333/LY333, HR335/LY335
- Health Studies: HS322, HS323
- Indigienous Studies: ID201, ID375
- Digital Media and Journalism: JN312, JN321
- Law and Society: LY304, LY305, LY306, LY334, LY405, LY411
- Leadership: OL370, OL415
- Political Science: PO220, PO232, PO321, PO322, PO323, PO326, PO329, PO330, PO331, PO332, PO333, PO334, PO345, PO420, PO433, PO470, PO494
- Social Work: SK221, SK421, SK431
- Sociology: SY316*, SY321, SY333, SY405, SY422
- Youth and Children's Studies: YC310, YC440
Students should note that many of the elective courses have prerequisites courses that must be satisfied prior to registration.
- Honours program students with a minimum overall GPA of 7.00 at the end of Year 1, Year 2 or Year 3 are eligible to apply for the International Policy Option. A cumulative GPA of 7.00 in the courses specific to the International Policy Option is required to graduate.
- At least 2.5 of the required 4.5 credits in the option must be completed at Laurier.
- Completion of the International Policy Option requirements will result in a “International Policy Option” designation on student transcripts. The option is open to all honours students.
- Students are not permitted to complete both the International Policy Option and the International Development Option.
Download the printable program worksheet (PDF) to help you keep track of which requirements you have completed.