Skip to main content

Study Permits

You must apply for a study permit if:

  • You are not a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident.
  • You are studying in a post-secondary program in Canada for more than six months.

You may not need a study permit if:

  • You are studying in Canada for six months or less.

If you require a study permit, depending on your home country, you will also need either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). One of these forms of travel authorization will be issued after your study permit application is approved.

As an international student, it is also your responsibility to ensure your study permit doesn't expire. The information below will help you extend your study permit from within Canada.

You can extend your study permit online through your IRCC account. Be sure to apply to extend your study permit three months before your current study permit expires.

Study Permit Delays

Please note that study permit delays can cause problems for students trying to enter Canada. We recommend that you apply for your study permit as early as possible, and connect with us at if your study permit has been denied. You can also find updated information here from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

These changes and updates can impact you if you are applying for a study permit for the first time as a degree-seeking student or an exchange student studying at Laurier, so be sure to review all the information carefully. 

Visa and Travel Documents

You may require either a TRV or an eTA to travel to Canada, depending on your home country.

  • Find out if you need a TRV or an eTA.
  • If you are applyling for a study permit, either a TRV or an eTA will be issued once your study permit application is approved.
  • You do not need to complete a separate application or pay additional fees.

Electronic Travel Authorization

An electronic travel authorization (eTA) shows that you have met the requirements to enter Canada. It is a paperless document that is electronically linked to your passport.

Temporary Resident Visa

A temporary resident visa (TRV), or visitor visa, is an official document that is placed in your passport by an officer to show that you have met the requirements for entry to Canada as a temporary resident. Learn more about the TRV Application process.

If you wish for an out-of-country family member to attend convocation and your country of origin requires a visa to enter Canada, your family member will need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for Visiting Family Members. The family member must apply for a TRV from a Canadian consulate, embassy or high commission in the home country. See the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website for a list of visa offices

Your family member will need the following supporting documents for their application:

  • A letter of invitation. This is a letter written by you inviting your family member to come and visit/attend convocation. Details about the information required in the letter of invitation are available on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.
  • A letter from Laurier's Enrolment Services confirming you are a registered student and the anticipated completion date of your studies. If you are graduating from the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, please contact their office for the letter.
  • Any other documentation required by the visa post where the application will be submitted.

You are encouraged to consult the Global Affairs Canada travel advisory website, and LORIS (as ceremony dates and times are subject to change) prior to finalizing travel arrangements.

If you have additional questions regarding international visitors, please contact Laurier International.