Skip to main content

Progress Issues

Progress issues is a type of appeal which includes: 

  • Extension to complete coursework.
  • Change in registration status.
  • Program milestones.
  • Degree time limits.
  • Failed courses, unsatisfactory progress, or requirement to withdraw.

Extension to Complete Coursework

Under calendar provisions, for courses with a defined beginning and end date, a course instructor may grant a student an extension to complete coursework to a maximum of one term for a registered student.

Change in Registration Status

Graduate programs are designed to be completed on either a full- or part-time basis. When you accept an offer of either full- or part-time studies, you normally complete the degree program under the terms of the admission. Notwithstanding this expectation, there are circumstances that unexpectedly arise that require a change in registration status. Requests based upon unexpected medical grounds, caretaking duties, or full-time employment opportunities may be considered.

Depending on the qualifications and selection processes as outlined in the Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty Association Collective Agreement, some graduate students may receive a Contract Teaching Faculty (CTF) appointment to teach a course. Consult your academic unit for more information about CTF appointments. Doctoral students who are taking on one or more CTF appointments should be aware of the regulations surrounding these appointments and how this type of employment may necessitate a change in registration status.

Program Milestones

The comprehensive examination is one of the most important milestones in a doctoral student’s program. You become a candidate for the doctoral degree only after the requirements of the comprehensive have been successfully completed. Inasmuch as doctoral programs have different requirements for the satisfaction of the comprehensive experience, the GSAC recognizes that timely completion of this experience is a key factor in ensuring your overall progress as a doctoral candidate. The maximum time available to complete the comprehensive experience from first term of registration is seven terms of full-time study. A request for additional time to complete the comprehensive requirement may be considered by the GSAC. A completed progress report for the current academic year must be on file in order for consideration to be given.

Degree Time Limits

The calendar policy on degree time limits apply. A completed and signed FGPS Action Plan is required, covering the time (e.g. number of terms) that is requested in the body of the appeal. For any subsequent appeals for degree time limits, the items listed in the prior action plan must be addressed in the body the appeal.  

Failed Courses / Unsatisfactory Progress / Requirement to Withdraw

Calendar regulations outline the minimum grade requirements by level of study, and by program, as well as consequences (e.g. academic probation, repeating/replacing failed courses).

If you received an unsatisfactory progress report and the remedial period has expired, the program will advise the AVP and dean of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies that you are required to withdraw.

Doctoral students who attain a failing grade (as defined by the specific requirements of their program) are normally required to withdraw, a decision which may be the subject of an academic appeal.