Placement Proposal Form (MSW)
This form provides Master of Social Work (MSW) students an opportunity to recommend placement opportunities with a particular agency, or initiative/department within an agency.
Ensure that you are submitting proposals for agencies that you have some knowledge about, are interested in, and are aware that the agency provides MSW placements. This is information you may have obtained from their website, coworkers, peers or students from other schools who have completed placements with these agencies in the past. Once a form is submitted, the Field Education Office will then follow up directly with the placement to assess the suitability of the placement and accordingly negotiate agreements and conduct field visits.
Students interested in proposing a placement opportunity for the winter term (start date in January) must submit this form by 9 a.m. on July 18. Students interested in proposing a placement opportunity for the fall term (start date in September) must do so by 4:30 p.m. on Feb. 5. This will provide the field office adequate time to consider each student's proposal.
Due to the large volume of emails we receive, we may not be able to respond to a question that is addressed below, so it is important to note the following:
- The Field Education Office has established relationships with a large number of agencies in this area. The majority of agencies normally proposed by students are not new agencies, and have provided MSW placements for Laurier in the past.
- Students who propose a new agency will have priority for an interview at this agency.
- Students who propose a placement with an agency the Field Education Office has an established relationship with, will be considered along with other students interested in that particular placement.
- Any proposed opportunity that becomes available will be uploaded on the field placement portal.
- If a proposed placement is not posted on the portal when placements are announced, it means the proposed placement will not be available.
- If your proposed placement is a possibility (that is, they are willing to interview a Laurier student), the Field Education Office will indicate interest in the placement opportunity for you on the portal.
Reminder: Students cannot contact agencies to inquire about placements or arrange their own interviews.