Skip to main content

Research Funding

Funding for Conference Presentations

Faculty of Social Work Travel Award

Toward supporting scholarly engagement, the Faculty of Social Work invites PhD students to apply for funding in order to present at professional conferences. Priority will be given to:

  • students invited to give a keynote address or lead a panel,
  • students for whom this is a first refereed academic conference paper,
  • students presenting a refereed first academic conference poster.

The Faculty of Social Work will provide 12-15 travel grants per fiscal year, usually allocated three to four per academic term.

To apply for funding, please complete the Travel Assistantship Application Form. Please note the three application cycles each year:

Travel Award Deadlines

Date Range for Travel


May 1 to Aug. 31 (spring semester)

April 15

Sept. 1 to Dec. 31 (fall semester)

Aug. 15

Jan. 1 to April 30 (winter semester)

Dec. 15

Complete the Travel Assistantship Application Form and obtain a signature from the associate dean of your program and your dissertation/thesis advisor.

Submit the form to the Peggy Freymond FSW-107 prior to the deadline date to apply for funding from the Faculty of Social Work Travel Fund.

When the conference is complete, submit a Travel Expense Claim Form to Peggy Freymond FSW-107. Attach documentation of your presentation at the conference, as well as original itemized receipts and boarding passes.

Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Travel Award

If you wish to apply for the Graduate Travel Award, submit a separate application to the Grad Studies Office using their application form. Please read the instructions carefully to ensure you meet eligibility. You will be notified by the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies regarding your Travel Award Application and any funding they may grant.

If you were successful in obtaining a Graduate Travel Award, ensure you submit all necessary paperwork to the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.

Graduate Students' Assocation Travel Award

If you wish to also apply to the Graduate Students' Association, submit a separate application to the Graduate Enhancement Fund Committee using the online application form March 15-31.

Funding for Thesis/Dissertation Research

Students are invited to apply for funding to support their thesis or dissertation research. PhD students are normally allotted $500. The types of expenses that are covered include, but are not limited to, the costs for:

  • transcription
  • travel
  • honoraria for research participants
  • photocopying
  • printing supplies
  • hiring a research assistant

To apply for funding, please complete the online request form. This form will assist the Dean’s Office to better track research funds that are granted internally to students. Please note that while requests for funding for thesis or dissertation research are normally granted, the dean has final budgetary approval.

Once your request has been approved, please submit the appropriate form (Travel Expense, Meeting Expense, Cheque Requisition), located on the Financial Resources website, to the Faculty of Social Work's Dean’s Office. Attach all itemized original receipts and documentation for your expenses.