Instructional Assistantships for Winter 2017
The Anthropology program invites applications for Instructional Assistants (IAs) for two sections of AN100 and one section of AN120 and during the Winter 2017 academic term. The IA will support up to 68 students. The positions will begin on January 9, 2017, there may be a meeting request between January 4 -6, 2017.
- Review course material and assist with in-class exercise preparation.
- Attend meetings with course instructors.
- Provide online and in class discussion facilitation.
- Mark assignments, tests and exams.
- Provide study sessions.
- Respond to emails from students.
- For AN100 C & D must be available on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 9:30 to 10:20 a.m. or from 10:30 to 11:20 a.m.
- For AN120 must be available Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Applicants should be an Anthropology major with a GPA of no less than 8.0. Applicants should:
- Be good communicators (clear, articulate speakers), with strong interpersonal skills (friendly, approachable, able to create a positive rapport with students, etc.);
- Be capable of unbiased evaluation;
- Possess discerning, critical reading skills; and
- Be able to skilfully communicate his or her academic understanding in standard academic text forms.
$21.70 per hour (for fourth-year students), plus 4% in lieu of vacation pay, for 50 hours for the duration of the term.
Applications and Due Dates
Applicants should send a cover letter, including a statement about his/her suitability for the position and what s/he can bring to the course, a resume, and the names of two academic references. Note that names of faculty members who can speak to your writing ability and/or participation in class would be preferred. Official transcripts are not required as the department has access to – and will refer to – academic records.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 11:59 p.m. on January. 3, 2017.