The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Laurier supports a series of seminars in the areas of chemistry, biochemistry, biophysics and environmental sciences. The main emphasis of this seminar series is on the interdisciplinary nature of science. The chemistry seminar series has become essential for advancing and enriching the research culture in the Faculty of Science in general and the Department of Chemistry in particular.
All graduate and undergraduate students (including those enrolled in CH490) are encouraged to attend the seminar series and enhance their conceptual understanding of science and sense of inquiry. As well, the seminars are intended to promote scientific interaction among the students, faculty and members of the scientific community by observing science in a broader interrelated context.
Seminars run on Friday afternoons between 3:30-5 p.m. in room N1044, Science Building. If no seminar title appears below, it is to be announced.
- Friday, Sept. 16: Professor Leonid Brown, Department of Physics, University of Guelph
- Title of Seminar: Biophysical Studies of Photoactive Membrane Proteins: Diverse Ion Transporters and Photosensors
- Friday, Sept. 23: Professor J.J. Vittal, Department of Chemistry, National University of Singapore
- Title of Seminar: Crystal... Crystal... Everywhere!
- Friday, Oct. 21: Professor Vladimir Kitaev, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Title of Seminar: Nanoscale Building Blocks
- Friday, Nov. 11: Professor Stephen Loeb, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Windsor
- Title of Seminar: Rotaxanes as Reagents and Materials
- Friday, Nov. 18: Professor Derek Schipper, Department of Chemistry, University of Waterloo
- Title of Seminar: Reaction Development for the Synthesis of Conjugated Polymers
- Friday, Nov. 25: Professor Warren Wakarchuk, Department of Chemistry and Biology, Ryerson University
- Title of Seminar: Adventures in engineering O-glycosylation of proteins
- Friday, Jan. 6: Professor Gerry Wright, Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University
- Title of Seminar: The Natural History of Antiobiotic Resistance
- Friday, Jan. 27: Associate Professor Hind Al-Abadleh, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Title of Seminar: Organics on the Surface of Hematite Nanoparticles and the Environmental Fate of Arsenicals from ATR-FTIR, Surface Complexation Modeling and Flow Calorimetry Studies
- Friday, Feb. 10: Professor Mark MacLachlan, Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia
- Friday, Feb. 17: Professor Liz Meiering, Department of Chemistry, University of Waterloo
- Friday, Mar. 17: Professor Juewen Liu, Department of Chemistry, University of Waterloo
- Friday, Mar. 24: Assistant Professor Jennifer Chen, Department of Chemistry, York University