The Honours BSc Environmental Science is an interdisciplinary program consisting of a minimum of 20 credits of which 13.5 credits must be at the senior level. The program was formerly known as Honours BSc Biology and Physical Geography. The program must include an elective (0.5 credits) from outside of the Faculty of Science and outside of the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies in the Faculty of Arts.
This program may include a thesis, ENVX490, that is a full credit at the fourth year level. Interested students have to apply to the Environmental Science Coordinating Committee by mid-February of Year Three of their program.
To be granted admission to the thesis course, students must have a minimum GPA of 7.0 and must have a supervisor available. Supervision may be sought with eligible faculty members from Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry or Geography and Environmental Studies. Admission decisions will normally be made by mid-March of Year Three. Honours students are expected to attend departmental seminars in Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, or Geography and Environmental Studies.
Honours BSc Environmental Science
- BI111, BI296, CH110, CH111, CH233, CH234; ES101, ES102;
- GG101, GL102, GG251, GG254, GG258, GG281, GG282, GG290/ES290, GG399/ES399;
- MA100, MA101;
- 2.0 credits from: BI226, BI256, BI266, CH261, CH262;
- 0.5 credit from BI393, ES392, GG360;
- 1.0 credit from Group A: GG336, GG381, GG382, GG383, GG384, GG385, GG386, GG387, GG388, GG389, GG481, GG486;
- 1.0 credit from Group B: GG351, GG355, GG360, GG361, GG368, GG369, GG380, GG480;
- 0.5 credit from Group C: BI358, BI368, CH360;
- 1.0 credit from Group D: BI300, BI301, BI302, BI309, BI363, BI367, BI390, BI391, BI392, BI394, BI396 (T);
- 1.0 Credit from Group E: BI400, BI405, BI456, BI458, BI463, BI468, BI488, BI496 (W), BI496 (B);
- ENVX490* (see note 2); or 1.0 credit from the following:
- 0.5 additional credit from Group A or B,
- 0.5 additional credit from Group C, D, or E, or ENVX495
- 2.5 senior elective credits
- Electives must include at least 0.5 credit from outside the Faculty of Science, and GES in the Faculty of Arts. Students are reminded that senior courses may have prerequisites and to plan accordingly.
- For progression into Year 2 of the program, a minimum overall GPA of at least 5.0 (C) is required and for progression into subsequent years, the overall cumulative GPA must be at least 5.00 (C). For graduation, the cumulative GPA in the mandatory BI, CH, ES, ENVX, GG, and GL elements must be at least 5.00 (C) and the overall cumulative GPA must be 5.00 (C).
- The ENVX490* honours thesis may be taken in Year 4. Students wishing to complete the thesis must apply to the Environmental Science Coordinating Committee by mid-February of Year 3. Admission to ENVX490* requires a minimum GPA of 7.0 and will depend on the availability of supervisors. Supervision may be sought with eligible faculty members from Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, or Geography and Environmental Studies. Admission decisions will normally be made by mid-March of Year 3.
- Honours students are expected to attend departmental seminars in Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, or Geography and Environmental Studies.
Environmental Science Option
The Environmental Science Option is available to students registered in Honours BSc programs in Biology, Chemistry or Geography. (Refer to the Faculty of Arts chapter of the academic calendar for the Geography BA and BSc programs available.) Normally, students will register in the option during Year 1 or Year 2. Transfers into the option after Year 2 must be approved by the dean.
Students are advised to take BI110, BI111, CH110, CH111, GL101 and GL102 in Year 1. Details of the requirements are given with the honours programs involved. Refer to: