International Student Work Experience Program
Laurier's International Student Work Experience Program (ISWEP) is an on-campus work experience program for international students at the Waterloo and Brantford campuses.
The goals of ISWEP are to:
- Create opportunities for international students to gain work experience on campus.
- Benefit the Laurier community with the global perspectives of our diverse international students.
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To be considered for ISWEP, students must fulfill the following requirements:
- Must be an undergraduate international student (Permanent Residents, Canadian citizens, exchange students and graduate international students are not eligible to participate in this program).
- Must have a valid study permit (you will need to upload a copy of your study permit).
- Must be registered as a full-time student on the Waterloo or Brantford campus.
- Must have completed at least two full semesters of study at Laurier (i.e. should be in year two or above).
- Must be in good academic standing according to program requirements.
- Must be available to work September 2016 to April 2017.
Note: Demonstrating financial need is not a requirement.
Meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee an on-campus position. Once you have been accepted into the program, you must apply to available job postings in Navigator and compete with other students. You must meet minimum job requirements, be interviewed and hired for a position.
Students are eligible for ISWEP positions for a maximum of two years. You may only accept one ISWEP position.
What is the Compensation?
The rate of pay is $11.50 per hour. The maximum number of hours for each student is 60 hours per term.
How Can I Prepare to Apply for Positions?
We want you to be prepared to make a great first impression and to demonstrate your skills and abilities. Here are some things you can do to get ready to apply for on-campus positions:
- Prepare your cover letter and resumé and develop your interview skills.
- Attend an ‘International Student Work Experience Program Orientation Session’ in September.
- Complete the Career Development Certificate. The workshop schedule is available online for Waterloo and Brantford.
- For further assistance, you can also meet with a career consultant.
What is the ISWEP Approval Process?
- Ensure the eligibility criteria are met (see above). Only those applicants who meet the eligibility criteria will be considered.
- Complete the ISWEP online approval form and upload a copy of your valid study permit. The deadline for approval forms is Sept. 11, 2016.
- Students will be emailed to learn whether they have met the criteria and are approved for the program.
- Students approved to the program will be emailed an ISWEP eligibility confirmation. An approved ISWEP eligibility confirmation is required to apply to on-campus ISWEP jobs.
- ISWEP job postings will be available in Navigator in September. After you have your eligibility confirmation, apply directly to the postings by submitting a resumé and cover letter to the hiring department.
- ISWEP students will interview with the hiring departments. The department supervisor will make the hiring decision.
What Type of Jobs Will be Available?
ISWEP job titles in the past included:
- Access Services Assistant (Waterloo)
- Advertising Assistant (Waterloo)
- Ancillary Support Assistant (Waterloo)
- Arts International Initiatives Researcher (Waterloo)
- CaRDS Assistant, Copyright and Resource Delivery Services, Library (Waterloo)
- Career Centre Assistant (Brantford)
- Clerical Assistant (Waterloo)
- Customer Service Associate, Academic Materials (Waterloo)
- Director's Office Student Assistant (Brantford)
- Diversity and Equity Liaison (Waterloo)
- Front Desk Reception (Waterloo)
- Global Engagement Programming Assistant (Waterloo)
- ICT Support Student (Brantford and Waterloo)
- International @home Assistant (Brantford)
- ISWEP Student Coordinator (Waterloo)
- Library Research Mentor for International Students (Waterloo)
- MyHelpSpace Media Developer Assistant (Waterloo)
- Office Assistant (Brantford)
- Reception/Greeter (Waterloo)
- Recruitment and Admissions Assistant (Brantford and Waterloo)
- Research Project Assistant (Waterloo)
- Student Administrative Assistant (Brantford and Waterloo)
- Student Assistant, Writing Centre (Waterloo)
- Student Service Desk Analyst (Waterloo)
- Technical Support Assistant (Waterloo)
- Web Designer (Waterloo)
If you have questions about the ISWEP program or application procedures, contact Jessie Eulenberg, career consultant (international programs) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519.884.0710 x4207.