Study Skills and Course Support
Laurier is committed to enhancing student academic life through the promotion of proper learning strategies and study skills that are required by all undergraduate and graduate students to succeed academically.
Study skills services are comprised of the following services and programs:
- Individual and small-group consultations;
- On-campus, in-class, in-residence, and online workshops;
- Academic success programs for varsity athletes, Aboriginal students, and academically at-risk students; and
- Training programs.
On the Waterloo campus, the Study Skills and Supplemental Instruction Centre provides the above services.
On the Brantford campus, Writing and Study Skills Services offers these services (as well as providing support for academic writing).
- WaterlooWATClick this tab to view content pertaining to Waterloo
- BrantfordBRANTClick this tab to view content pertaining to Brantford
The Study Skills and Supplemental Instruction Centre (SSC) enhances student academic life through the promotion of proper learning strategies and study skills that are required by all undergraduate and graduate students to succeed academically.
We offer appointments with a learning strategist or time management coach who can help you to assess your current learning strategies and study skills and make recommendations to help you to further develop these strategies and skills.
Writing and Study Skills Services (Brantford) can help you develop the skills you need to excel in your academic studies. You can learn to take better notes, practice better review strategies, and improve your written and oral communication. We are an integrated service and can help you with your writing and studying concerns.
For information about support for academic writing, see our Writing Skills pages.
We offer study skills support in a variety of ways:
- Individual consultations with trained writing and study skills peer mentors (we can help you with both in a single appointment).
- Specialized support for English language learners in-centre and through the Peer Language Support Program.
- Online resources such as the Live Classroom.
- Access to study skills resources.
- Facilitated Study Groups (FSGs) to support student learning in specific courses.
- On-campus workshops.
- In-class lectures or workshops at the request of faculty.
- GPA Program for students who are struggling academically or on academic probation.
- Tutor referral if you are looking for a private tutor.
- Learning strategy support for students registered with the Accessible Learning Centre.
- Skills development and training for instructional assistants, teaching assistants, tutors, and language support volunteers.
Co-Curricular Record Credit
- Mastering Reading in a Digital World
- Student Success and Well-Being
- Presenting with Confidence
The following campus training opportunities are CCR-eligible as well:
For more information, contact Writing and Study Skills Services.
The team in Writing and Study Skills Services (Brantford) value our commitment to aiding students and meeting their academic needs. In our effort to increase communication with our students, our student peer mentors contribute to a blog to post helpful, inspirational and occasionally humorous content that we hope will be of interest to and helpful to you.
The Centre for Student Success at the Waterloo and Brantford campuses offers a variety of forms of peer-led course support through the Study Skills and Supplemental Instruction Centre, the Mathematics Assistance Centre, and Writing and Study Skills Services.