Skip to main content

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

Everyone living in Ontario is required to have primary health insurance. For Canadian students, that’s their provincial health insurance (OHIP for Ontario residents). 

If you are an international student employee and vistor, your health care is covered by a private insurance company, in most cases the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).

Valid proof of health care coverage is necessary prior to receiving medical services in Canada and you will be required to present your UHIP card to receive service.

The enrolment period for UHIP is a 12-month period that runs from Sept. 1 to Aug. 31. For details of when your coverage starts, visit the UHIP website.


The information below explains your eligibility and enrolment, how to register, your enrolment period, exemptions and coverage extension. 

Coverage and Claims

 This section explains what you are covered for, how to find a clinic or doctor and how to make a claim. 

Payments and Refunds

The information below explains fees related to UHIP and refund eligibility.