Skip to main content

Readmission/Re-registration at Laurier

Readmission and re-registration are different ways of returning to Laurier depending on your academic record. You need to be readmitted if you were formally required to withdraw from Laurier because you did not meet academic requirements. You can simply re-register if you voluntarily left Laurier in good standing.

Request for Re-registration

The request for re-registration form is necessary for students that have had a lapse in registration of 18 months or greater, or have attended another postsecondary institution since their last registration at Laurier.

Note: As of Sept. 1, 2007 the general BA with a major is not available. If you are returning to Laurier after an absence of 18 months or more, you must register in the general BA without designation unless you meet requirements for a specific honours program.

Request for Sequential Degree

Complete a sequential degree request if you have already completed a degree and would like to pursue another. Such requests are at the discretion of the department and the office of the relevant dean, and are not guaranteed.

Requirements vary based on type of degree and previous coursework completed. Full regulations can be found in the Academic Calendar 

Request for Readmission

If you were required to withdraw from Laurier, you may request readmission to resume studies no earlier than 12 months from the date of required withdrawal.

The following information applies only to the faculties of Arts, Science, Liberal Arts and Human and Social Sciences.

Readmission Policies

  • Due to the competitive nature of the programs in the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics, students who were required to withdraw from the university are not eligible for readmission into these programs. If you wish to be considered for readmission into another program at the university, follow the instructions below for readmission to the faculties of Arts or Science (Waterloo), or faculties of Liberal Arts or Human and Social Sciences (Brantford).
  • Students who have been required to withdraw from programs in the Faculty of Science may request readmission to either the Faculty of Science or the Faculty of Arts.
  • Students who have been required to withdraw from programs in the Faculty of Arts may only request readmission to the Faculty of Arts.
  • Readmission will be at the discretion of the faculty and is not guaranteed.

Readmission Procedures

Step One: Academic Upgrading

Eligibility for readmission requires completion of:

  • Two academic college courses, each at a minimum grade of A- (80%); or
  • Two university courses, each at a minimum grade of B- (70%) or better.

These courses may not be taken at Laurier and must not cover course material previously taken at Laurier. They must be academic in content and cover disciplines that are taught in the desired Laurier faculty. Business courses will not be approved. All courses taken while on a "must withdraw" status must be preapproved by Enrolment Services.

To receive preapproval of these courses, email Lisa Hunt if your last name begins with A- L,  or if your last name begins with M-Z, e-mail Jenna Taylor The course description, course syllabus or web link where this information can be found will be required, along with your full name and student ID number.

To register for the approved courses, students are required to contact the institution directly where upgrading will take place.

Courses taken at college or another university to either meet readmission requirements or taken for interest while on a "must withdraw" status will not be awarded as, or considered for, transfer credit if you are readmitted.

Step Two: Applying for Readmission

Once you have successfully completed your academic upgrading courses, you can submit to Enrolment Services the online Request for Readmission form, specifying the faculty/program you wish to re-enter.

Along with the online form, you must submit a statement letter to either Lisa Hunt if your last name begins with A- L,  or  e-mail Jenna Taylor, if your last name begins with L-Z. 

Your statement letter should outline the following:

  • The reason(s) for your previous academic performance.
  • Why you believe you will now be more successful academically.
  • Details concerning your activities or work experiences since your last attendance at Laurier.

Note that medical reasons must be accompanied by supporting documentation from your physician.

In addition, an official transcript must be sent directly to Enrolment Services from the institution(s) attended. Transcripts should be sent to:

Wilfrid Laurier University
Enrolment Services: Records
75 University Ave. W.
Waterloo, ON
N2L 3C5

Note: Enrolment Services must receive the online readmission form, all documents and official transcripts a minimum of 30 days prior to the beginning of the term for which you are requesting readmission. Applicants will be notified by email once a decision has been rendered.

Terms of Readmission

If readmitted, you will be placed on academic probation in the general degree program. A meeting with an advisor in the dean's office is required, before registration can take place. You must successfully complete a minimum of 2.0 credits (or equivalent) and attain a GPA of 5.00 (C) within two years. You will be limited to part-time registration of 1.0 credit per term. Academic probation will continue until you complete a minimum of 4.0 credits. No failures are allowed during the probation period. Upon completion of this probation, you must meet all program requirements as listed in the undergraduate academic calendar.

Strategies for Academic Success

Laurier offers the Strategies for Academic Success program as a method for readmission to Laurier. The program has been carefully designed by the Faculty of Arts to support a smooth transition back to your studies.

Students who have withdrawn in good standing may request readmission within one year of withdrawal without completing the required application forms or paying any required application fee. Normally, readmission for such students will be granted. If more than one year has elapsed since the withdrawal date, a new application for admission is required.

Students who fail to register or be granted an approved leave shall be deemed to have terminated their candidacy in the program and will be required to reapply.

Applicants for readmission must:

  • Pay any applicable application fee;
  • Include a letter indicating a proposed schedule for the completion of all degree requirements; and
  • Agree to be interviewed by representatives of the graduate program.

There is no guarantee of readmission and students may be required to complete additional course work as a condition of readmission (e.g., if more than five years have elapsed since the completion of a course, the student may be required to retake the course).

Applicants for readmission are advised to consult with their academic unit/program about graduate student funding eligibility, where applicable.