Skip to main content

Academic Standing

There are four levels of academic standing at Laurier

What is my Academic Standing?

Your Academic Standing is your status at the university based on your academic performance. You must be in good academic standing to move forward in your program and to graduate. Academic standing is reviewed at the end of every term.

How do I find out my Academic Standing?

Your Academic Standing is displayed in LORIS. Changes will be visible upon release of official grades following the conclusion of each term.

What services are available to help me understand my academic standing?

You are encouraged to seek advice from Academic Advisors who are equipped to help you review and understand your academic standing and program progression requirements. Advisors can be found in both individual departments and in faculties.

How do I take time off from my studies?

Temporary Voluntary Withdraw

Availability of Temporary Voluntary Absences vary by program and are not applicable to all programs. In particular programs such as BBA, BTM, and all Double Degree BBA programs require a LOA application for any absence. Please see the Leave of Absence Form: Bachelor of Business Administration and Leave of Absence Form: Business Technology Management for further information. 

In some programs you can choose not to register in courses for successive academic terms without penalty.

You may take time off from your studies for any reason.  Some reasons may include:

  • Your health/mental health
  • Personal circumstances have changed
  • Financial circumstances have changed
  • Family responsibilities

Long-Term Voluntary Withdraw

Absences from studies 18 months or longer vary by program and are not applicable to all programs.  For approved programs, you will need to inform Laurier in order to reactive your LORIS account and return to your studies.

Note, international students should meet with a Student Advisor from Laurier International before deciding to take time away from studies. Temporary or Long-Term Withdraw may impact your Student Visa and/or Study Permit eligibility.

Academic Petitions

Extenuating circumstances may impact your ability to be successful in your academic performance.  Students may petition to request relief from a university rule or calendar requirement because of such circumstances, such as medical or compassionate grounds.

The faculty petition’s committee will review your circumstances and supporting documentation and exercise its discretion to decide whether or not to grant an exception.  You should connect with your Academic Advisor if you think this situation applies to you.

To remain in good academic standing, you must:

  • Attain the minimum required academic standing in your courses;
  • Maintain continuous registration each semester  in your program unless on an approved leave; and
  • Where required, and receive a satisfactory assessment on required progress reports.

Master's Students

Master's students must attain at least a B- grade in each course and, where required by the degree program, must present and defend an acceptable thesis/research paper. Most two-year master's programs also require periodic progress reports. Consult the graduate coordinator for your program for details.

Doctoral Students

Doctoral must attain at least a B grade in each course. Some programs have additional requirements concerning satisfactory performance. Consult the specific program section in the graduate academic calendar for details.

In addition, doctoral students are required to submit a report outlining their progress in the program over the past year, by April 15 annually. The academic unit/supervisory committee reviews the report and completes the annual evaluation of a student's overall program of studies and research to determine whether progress is deemed satisfactory.

In the event that progress is deemed unsatisfactory, the department may recommend to the dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies that the student be required to withdraw.

Probationary Status

A master's or doctoral student who has failed a course, receives an progress report assessment indicating progression concerns, or who is permitted to continue in a program without fully meeting some requirement, may be classified as a probationary student following a formal review by the department, school or faculty. The student will remain on probation until the course or its equivalent is successfully completed or until some predetermined requirement or condition has been met.

Failure to remove the probationary status within three terms will result in the student being required to withdraw from the program.

Students who are placed on academic probation may, on the recommendation of the department or faculty, be deemed ineligible to receive scholarship and/or Teaching Assistantships until probationary conditions have been cleared.

Required to Withdraw

Where a student has received an unsatisfactory progress report and the remedial period has expired, the program will advise the dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies that the student is required to withdraw. A statement outlining the recommendation and the chronology of events leading to the recommendation (including evaluation reports) is submitted to the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. The dean will communicate the decision to the student in writing.

The student will be given an opportunity to voluntarily withdraw from the program. The withdrawal request must be submitted to the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies within 10 calendar days from the date of the letter to the student from the dean.

A student who is required to withdraw may request reconsideration of that decision to the Graduate Student Appeal Committee if there is new information to present.