Skip to main content

Withdrawing from Laurier

Students may choose to leave the university on a temporary or permanent basis.

Students who have been required to withdraw from the university, and who would like to apply to return to studies, must follow readmission procedures.

Process for Voluntary Student Withdrawal from Laurier

If you are planning on leaving Laurier, it is important that you take the proper steps to withdraw:

  1. Talk to an academic advisor. This is important if you are planning to take a leave from your program, or if you are interested in discussing how your academic path may be impacted.
  2. Drop all of your courses on LORIS.
    • Non-attendance doesn’t constitute official withdrawal.
    • By dropping your courses by the last day to drop within a given term will prevent "XF"s from appearing on your transcript.
    • Also, you may be eligible for a tuition refund depending on when you drop your courses.
  3. If you have an active OSAP application or are the recipient of OSAP, email Financial Aid with the subject line “Withdrawal”, if you’re an OSAP recipient, notify Financial Aid by completing an OSAP Course Load Update Form.  
  4. Update your mailing address on LORIS.
  5. If you have a credit on your account after dropping your courses, you can request a refund.
  6. If applicable, complete a tuition/late registration fee appeal. Read all information prior to complete, as appeals are for extenuating circumstances only.
  7. If you are in residence, contact the Department of Residence for procedures.
  8. Email the OneCard office with your full name and student ID if you have funds remaining on your OneCard.
  9. Ensure all material is returned to the library and any outstanding fees have been resolved.

Types of Withdrawals and Forms

Temporary Withdrawals

Complete the appropriate form based on your program or student status:

Permanent Withdrawals

Students may choose to leave their academic program or be required to withdraw from the university if they do not meet academic probation requirements, do not maintain the requisite academic standing, or are required to withdraw as a result of unsatisfactory progress (as assessed through the progress report).

Students who fail to maintain consecutive registration (without an approved leave) are deemed to have terminated their candidacy in the program and must reapply for admission.

Process for Withdrawal from Laurier

If you are planning on leaving your graduate degree program, it is important that you take the proper steps to withdraw:

  1. Talk to your supervisor or to your graduate program coordinator.
    • Be fully informed about options concerning approved leaves, or temporary withdrawals, as an alternative to a permanent withdrawal.
    • If you wish to ensure you are apprised of all available options before deciding to withdraw from your program, connect with the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
  2. Drop all of your courses on LORIS. Non-payment of fees or non-attendance does not constitute a withdrawal. Recognize that there are fees and funding implications based upon the date of withdrawal:
    • The effective dates for course drops or withdrawals from the university will be the date such information is reported in writing to the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies office. The portion of refund is determined by this date. There are no refunds for courses which are taken under the audit-course classification. Tuition fees are refunded on a term basis in accordance with the schedule outlined in fees for withdrawal from the university.
    • Students who withdraw or change their status to part-time before the end of term will be required to repay, on a prorated basis, any scholarship funds previously paid to the student.
    • Email Student Awards if you are an OSAP recipient. Student Awards will make the needed changes to your OSAP application.
  3. Submit a written notice to the Office of Graduate Studies at to complete the withdrawal process.
Students who withdraw after the deadline for dropping courses will have uncompleted courses recorded as a failure and these will be included in the cumulative grade point average (GPA). If there are extenuating circumstances that prohibited you from withdrawing prior to the deadline to avoid academic penalty, you may submit a petition to the Graduate Student Appeals Committee.

Related Forms