Skip to main content

Taking Courses at Another University

Cross-Registration with University of Waterloo

Laurier students are able to take courses at the University of Waterloo through cross-registration. 

*Winter 2020 Cross-Registration forms will be processed in priority received beginning November 20th, 2019

To qualify to take a University of Waterloo course: 

  • You are required to complete a minimum of 3.0 credits at Laurier (transfer credits excluded)
  • You are required to be registered in a Degree program. (Students on Academic Probation in a General program or in Post-Degree Studies are not permitted to cross-register)
  • WLU Faculty Department approval is required (only if subject is different from your program of study)
  • WLU Course Academic Advisor approval required 
  • University of Waterloo Departmental approval is required for on-campus courses only
  • Please note, if your form does not meet the requirements above it will not be processed and there may be a delay in receiving this information as it can take up to 2 weeks before you receive a response.  

To register, complete a cross-registration form


  • Adds for cross-registered courses must be submitted at Laurier according to UWaterloo add deadline dates. 
  • Drops for cross-registered courses must be submitted at Laurier according to Laurier drop deadline dates.

Your tuition fees will be due to Laurier, with the rest of your tuition fees.

Once complete, submit the cross-registration form with all required signatures to Service Laurier. A separate form must be completed for each term you are registering.

Please note, it can take up to 7-10 business days to process once the form is received. Once you are successfully cross registered at the University of Waterloo, you will receive a confirmation email. 

If you have any questions about taking a course through cross-registration, email

Cross-Registration with Six Nations Polytechnic

Laurier Bachelor of Social Work students are able to take courses at Six Nations Polytechnic through cross-registration. To register, complete the Six Nations Polytechnic Cross-Registration Form.

Letter of Permission

Note: If you are looking at taking a course at the University of Waterloo, a letter of permission is not necessary. Refer to the Cross-Registration with University of Waterloo information above.

You may be interested in completing a course at another institution to count towards your degree. Prior to registering, it is important that you receive a letter of permission from Laurier. A letter of permission acknowledges that you have received academic approval to take courses at another institution and have it contribute to your degree requirements.

Letter of permission requests can take up to 14 business days to process; if approved, a copy of the letter of permission will be emailed to your mylaurier account for you to send to the host institution. Supply a weblink to the description of the requested course(s) if the complete description is not given on the form. A website address must be submitted for courses requested outside of Ontario. Course permission will not be issued for courses which are less than 36 lecture hours

To qualify to take a course on Letter of Permission: 
  • You are required to complete a minimum of 3.0 credits at Laurier (transfer credits excluded)
  • You must currently hold a cumulative grade point average of 4.00
  • You may not be on academic probation

If you meet the above requirements you must complete an online form (see below) and forward your  department approval and course equivalency to Anita Velanoff,

An administrative fee of $60 (additional cost if faxing required) will be applied to your account and is non-refundable. If your letter of permission is approved you will be billed.

Note: Submit a new request for each term required at the host institution (unless it is a 1.0-credit course taken over fall and winter sessions).

Once approved, it is your responsibility to reach out to the host institution to register for classes. You will need to follow add/drop deadlines as outlined by your host institution, as well as pay tuition fees to that host institution. Being granted a letter of permission from Laurier does not guarantee that you will be registered in a class. 

If you do not register at the host university, you must notify Laurier's Enrolment Services office by email prior to the deadline for academic withdrawal without penalty.

The grade obtained for a course taken on a letter of permission will be included in your cumulative grade point average. Courses taken overseas are awarded a 'CR' grade. Credit will not be granted for courses taken on a Challenge for Credit basis. An official hard copy transcript is due one month after the end of the term at the host institution. If not received by this deadline, a grade of F will be assigned.

For students taking the final course of a program on a letter of permission in the winter term, graduation will not be sooner than the October ceremony. An official transcript must be received by Enrolment Services no later than May 1 for spring convocation and October 1 for fall convocation.

If you have questions about taking a course at another institution, email Records and Registration:


You must arrange with the host university to have an official transcript forwarded to Wilfrid Laurier University within one month after the end of the Laurier term for which the course was requested.

  • Fall-term course: transcript due Jan. 31.
  • Winter-term course: transcript due May 31.
  • Spring-term course: transcript due Sept. 30.

Failure to do so will result in an F grade on your record. 

Forward transcript for Waterloo campus programs to:

Wilfrid Laurier University
Enrolment Services, Attn: Anita Velanoff
75 University Ave. W.
Waterloo, ON
N2L 3C5

Forward transcript for Brantford campus programs to:

Wilfrid Laurier University
Registrarial Services, Attn: Lori Prince
73 George St.
Brantford, ON
N3T 2Y3

Note: Faxed copies of a transcript are not considered official.

Selecting a Course at Another Ontario University

Depending on your program of study, you may apply to register for a course at other Ontario university. Consult the graduate academic calendar for full guidelines.

Letters of Permission

Students who choose to take a graduate-level course outside of Laurier and have it credited to their Laurier graduate degree must provide a copy of the course syllabus for the desired course to the graduate program coordinator, along with a written rationale for taking the course.

The decision on whether or not the course taken will be credited to the Laurier graduate degree rests with the dean of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, based upon a recommendation from the program. The student is responsible for any application and tuition costs associated with the course, as well as for arranging to have an official transcript submitted to the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies upon completion of the course.