Skip to main content

Visiting Students

University of Waterloo Cross Registration / Incoming Letter of Permission (Non-Laurier Students)

University of Waterloo Cross-Registration

* Winter 2021 Cross Registration is now open.

Note: If further information is required for your Winter 2020 forms you will receive an email from

University of Waterloo students are able to take courses at Laurier through cross-registration.

Similar to Laurier students, you will need to complete a cross-registration form from the University of Waterloo, including receiving approval from your academic advisor and approval from the Laurier instructor for on-campus courses. Please submit your completed forms by email to

It is important to note that when adding courses, you will need to follow Laurier’s course registration dates. Tuition fees will be charged and paid to University of Waterloo; however, some course-specific fees, such as online learning fees, will be charged to your Laurier account.

If you have any questions about taking a course through cross-registration, reach out to

Letter of Permission for Non-Laurier Students

If you are interested in taking a course at Laurier, the following information must be completed: 

  1. Letter of Permission from your home institution.
  2. Intent to Register form.
  3. Laurier Department approval of your requested course. For example, if you are requesting to take a Psychology course then you will require approval from Laurier' Psychology Department through email correspondants. 

NOTE:  Lazaridis School’s Business Department does not accept incoming Letter of Permission requests from Canadian Colleges.  This restriction includes any course code beginning with BU or ENTR.

A Letter of Permission is from your school indicating that you are in good standing. The Letter must contain the term of study as well as course codes that you wish to take at Laurier. This indicates to us that you have met the prerequisites for these courses and that they will be counted towards your degree. Typically this letter would come from the Registrar's Office (or equivalent).Your letter can be emailed to

The Intent to Register Application Form provides information for Laurier to begin the registration process. Please ensure that when you are requesting your courses that they are not full or have a current waitlist as we do not hold spots for non- Laurier students on the waitlist. 

At times we may request a copy of your unofficial transcript from your home institution to ensure you have met the pre-requisites to be successful in the course you are requesting at Laurier. 

If you are taking a course online, you will need to complete an Online Learning Term Form.

Once you are successfully registered, we will contact you via email and provide access to LORIS (Laurier’s Online Registration and Information System) to view your registration, fees, and personal information.

As a visiting student, you will be responsible for paying your fees to Laurier. Your fees are viewable on your LORIS account under the "Student Services" tab: "View Student Invoice." If you are considering dropping your course, be aware of our drop deadlines

Upon course completion, please ensure an official transcript is requested and sent to your home institution. If you decide to drop your course, you will need to request a letter be sent to your home institution as proof that you did not complete the course.

If you have any questions about your fees, drop deadlines, or the full process, email Service Laurier.

Non-Laurier Students Writing Exams at Laurier Brantford

Complete the Request a Proctor Form if you are a non-Laurier student requiring a proctor to write an exam at Laurier's Brantford campus. The fee for invigilation services is $75 per exam. Payment will be collected on your scheduled exam date.

Graduate students seeking a graduate degree at another institution may enrol at Laurier as a visiting students. If the home university is within Ontario, you must complete an Ontario visiting graduate student application form (available from your home institution’s graduate studies office).

It is important to note that when adding courses, you will need to follow Laurier’s course registration dates. You will pay tuition fees at your home university and your final grade will be submitted to the graduate studies office at your home university.

If you withdraw from the course, it is important that you complete the necessary withdrawal paperwork (available from your home institution’s graduate studies office), as failure to formally withdraw will result in a failing grade being assessed.

As a visiting graduate student, you will have a Laurier ID number. You can present your Laurier ID number and photo ID at the OneCard Office to receive a Laurier OneCard which will permit access to a variety of Laurier resources.